dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: SQLAnywherePlatform Status Update

From: Lance J. Andersen <Lance.Andersen_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 17:37:17 -0500

What gets loaded into the database is the metadata that is used by
jConnect. This step is standard for jConnect regardless of which
database is being used, ASE, ASA or even an Open Server talking to
another database. This was an intentional design decision when
jConnect 1.0 was being developed). This step includes the creation of
a few tables and stored procedures.

Please realize, i do understand your point of view, as i had the
pleasure of explaining the jConnect design to many ASA (and ASE) users
while i was at Sybase.

You can run jConnect applications without installing the metadata,
however certain functions, such for example DatabaseMetaData methods,
are not available. This is fine for some applications.

There are really three issues here and i want to make sure they are not
confused.

- Support from a user perspective of ASA
   + This needs to work with both the iAnywhere driver and the jConnect
driver. They do not both have to be completely implemented at the same
time. Again, i think your work should be put back after it gets
reviewed and i believe the work to complete support for ASA using
jConnect is a separate task, but still an important one.
   + I believe support for ASA is of great value as it is a first class
database.

- Implementation details of ASA support in Toplink Essentials
  + Internally, the organization of the code does make sense to keep
it as clean as possible, so yes i agree that the differences for the
support needs to be separated out.

- Validate jConnect 6.x works with Toplink Essesntials when we can
  + Against ASE 12.5.x and 15.x

Currently DataDirect (used to be Merant) does not support ASA with their
Sybase driver.

I also cannot comment on your jConnect errors as i have not seen them.
However as i said in the earlier email, we have not done a full test run
with jConnect 6.x against either ASE 15, 12.5.

Regards
Lance