dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: SQLAnywherePlatform Status Update

From: Lance J. Andersen <Lance.Andersen_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 18:11:33 -0500

Markus,

ASA 9.0.2ships jConnect and ASA 9 still has a large install base. I am
not sure the Ianywhere driver is available for 9.0.2, perhaps it is. I
know it is there for ASA 10.

Markus KARG wrote:
> Tom,
>> My concern related to checking in the current code is that there is
>> already a SQLAnywherePlatform. As Markus has correctly pointed out,
>> his design makes more sense because the current implementation is a
>> subclass of the SybasePlatform and that does not reflect the reality
>> of how SQLAnywhere is designed. For the JConnect case, however, the
>> fact that we are currently a subclass of SybasePlatform likely
>> benefits us.
> As I wrote before, jConnect is not able to access every SQLAnywhere
> database instance.
Not completely true, you just do not have all jConnect functionality
available without installing the metadata.
> The administrator must have enabled support for jConnect inside of the
> database instance, and (AFAIK) you must enable ASE emulation mode.
You do need to install the metadata that jConnect needs if your
application will need it. You might also have to change the default
tcpip port from 2638:

dbsrv9 -x tcpip(ServerPort=2629)

Also, it is not an emulation mode, it is default database configuration settings which align the database to be more aligned with an application which utilizes TDS:

Option Setting
ALLOW_NULLS_BY_DEFAULT OFF
ANSI_BLANKS ON
ANSINULL OFF
CHAINED OFF
CONTINUE_AFTER_RAISERROR ON
DATE_FORMAT YYYY-MM-DD
DATE_ORDER MDY
ESCAPE_CHARACTER OFF
FLOAT_AS_DOUBLE ON
ISOLATION_LEVEL 1
ON_TSQL_ERROR CONDITIONAL
QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF
TIME_FORMAT HH:NN:SS.SSS
TIMESTAMP_FORMAT YYYY-MM-DD HH:NN:SS.SSS
TSQL_HEX_CONSTANT ON
TSQL_VARIABLES ON

> I think it is good advice to let run all the tests again with jConnect
> 6.0.5 since from the major version number change I could imagine that
> there had been numerous changes.

Agree.

I think we have beat this to death also by now ;-) and i am sure there
are a lot of folks not interested in this level of detail regarding ASE
and ASA.

Your work is valuable and I look forward to it being included.

Regards
lance