dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Heads-up: Changes to the "version" for application server ...

From: kedar <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 16:00:34 -0800

Hi Scott:
> But there are in fact differences in the platform and enterprise edition
> and it's a little confusing not to see that information in the version
> string.

As a user, if you think this is a problem for you, then we might have
to think about it. But there is a subtle point that I wanted to clarify.

Unlike some other products (e.g. Java SE), we have two connotations for the
version string returned by the "asadmin version" command.
1- the local sense -- when no domain is running -- this returns the
version of
   locally installed application server software.
2- the remote sense, using --port --host -- when the given domain is
requested
   for the version of application server software that it runs. The runtime
   in turn applies the same technique as (1) to get the version. For a given
   asadmin script, different domains can return different version
strings in this case.

The issue we are facing right now is, with the advent of cluster
profile, it is
possible to create clusters with GlassFish distribution, as well as Sun's
Application Server distributed with the traditional Platform Edition
Installer.
Thus, though there are differences between "runtimes", the differences
between
the "installed image" are becoming smaller and smaller.

That prompted us to reconsider what's printed in a server's log file.
> In fact, b26 for PE bundles spits out Starting Sun Java System
> Application Server Enterprise Edition 9.1, which leaves us with
> historical logs files that are confusing to parse. For my team, the most
> important difference is that EE doesn't use OnDemandServer and PE does
> -- will that and other differences go away?

I understand the confusion and inherent "linking" of Edition with runtime.
But with the advent of:
- profiles,
- availability of load-balancer plugin, and
- in-memory replication,

on all distributions, it is easy to imagine that we will have all the
capabilities in all the
distributions. It is only the question of "turning it on" for a
particular runtime.
It is going to be possible for someone to
- download Sun's Platform Edition Installer
- HADB software from JES (www.sun.com)

and create the domains that have clusters that are highly available. In
this case,
it might not reflect it correctly, because if we stick to the old
scheme, the
version/log-records would continue to reflect "PE". Thus, it is
theoretically possible
to run any profile on any distribution.

The reason Sun's official distribution has to have both installers is
because of the bundle's size considerations.

The runtime differences that you referred to above (like Quick Startup) are
going to remain. A developer profile domain is different from an enterprise
profile domain in that regard.

Is there a way in which we can reduce the confusion?
Do you have to rely on parsing the log file in order to deduce something?

Please let me know.

Regards,
Kedar