dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Heads-up: Changes to the "version" for application server ...

From: Scott Oaks <Scott.Oaks_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 12:29:30 -0500

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 19:00, kedar wrote:

> The reason Sun's official distribution has to have both installers is
> because of the bundle's size considerations.
>
> The runtime differences that you referred to above (like Quick Startup) are
> going to remain. A developer profile domain is different from an enterprise
> profile domain in that regard.
>
> Is there a way in which we can reduce the confusion?
> Do you have to rely on parsing the log file in order to deduce something?

But the differences I'm concerned about (like quick startup; there used
to be some ORB-related differences that may have all gone away by now;
there are possibly others) are not based on the profile, they are based
on the product. By default, wich no changes to the domain.xml, PE runs
with QuickStart on (and nothing in the domain.xml indicates that; though
you can add a flag to turn it off). By default, with no change to the
domain.xml, EE runs without Quick Start (and nothing in the domain.xml
indicates that either).

So presently (build 26) when someone asks us to look at their
performance issues and sends a domain.xml and a server.log for us to
review, we can't really tell what options are on or off. And we can't
ask the customer to run asadmin version if it's not going to confirm
which product is in use.

Perhaps that's a transitional issue. If the binaries will behave exactly
the same way with exactly the same options (including no-options or
default options) in the domain.xml, then the edition string isn't
needed. But if the differences between the two will continue to have
different behavior with similarly-configured domain.xml files, then the
edition string is needed.

-Scott