dev@glassfish.java.net

GlassFish Ubuntu: Complete news listings

From: Harpreet Singh <Harpreet.Singh_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 11:04:49 -0800

Here is a complete news listing about GlassFish in Ubuntu.

HEADLINES
* Sun, Ubuntu Cross-Certify for JEE5 Server Deployment -- eWeek, 11/9
* Sun expands Ubuntu certification: Ubuntu to bundle Sun's GlassFish
application server -- VNUNet, 11/9
* Ubuntu, Sun Get Closer on Linux -- Internetnews.com (also appeared on
DevX News, IT Management, Good Software and Datamation), 11/8
* Sun expands support for Ubuntu Linux -- IDG News Service (also
appeared on InfoWorld, CIO, CIO India, TechWorld, LinuxWorld,
NetworkWorld, AjaxWorld International, Linux Daily, Open IT World and
TuxMachines.org), 11/8
* Ubuntu maker to distribute Sun's Java: Canonical's Linux software will
include Sun's Glassfish for running Java programs on servers -- CNET
(also appeared on ZDNet, ZDNet India, FreeSoftNews, BlueBoxSystem,
Blogator and McNaton's Blog), 11/7
* Sun certifies Ubuntu on its servers -- Techworld, 11/6
* Sun, Ubuntu Certifying Linux on x86 Servers -- CNET, 11/3

Thanks
Harpreet

FULL TEXT

Sun, Ubuntu Cross-Certify for JEE5 Server Deployment
eWeek,
Chris Preimesberger,
November 9, 2006

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.—Back in May at JavaOne, Sun Microsystems'
President Jonathan Schwartz and Canonical Ltd. Founder and President
Mark Shuttleworth—creator of the Ubuntu distribution of
GNU/Linux—promised to do a lot of business in the coming months.

Their promise is holding quite true six months later.

Sun and Canonical, a two-year-old U.K.-based commercial sponsor of the
fast-growing Ubuntu, revealed Nov. 8 that the open-source Java
Enterprise Edition 5 application server (specifically, the GlassFish
Community reference implementation) is now certified and available to
run on Ubuntu Server Edition, which was released on June 1.

The Java Community Process, which governs Java development, on Nov. 7
sanctioned the final JEE5 specification.

GlassFish is the first Java application server to be bundled with
Ubuntu, Shuttleworth told eWEEK in an interview on the Google campus
here, where Ubuntu developers were busily finalizing the next version of
the Debian-based open-source operating system.

"This is going to be great for everybody doing development on these
platforms," Tom Marble, senior Java Performance Engineer at Sun, told eWEEK.

"For example, if you're building a Web portal with interactive
applications on NetBeans, to add the Ubuntu server all you have to do is
find it on the drop-down list and add it. The application will find all
the components needed to make it work, automatically. A few clicks, and
it just all works," Marble said.

Other third-party components can also be popped easily into place. "For
example, Struts is one of those popular pieces developers will be able
to drop in quickly," said Jim Driscoll, engineering manager at Sun and
member of the GlassFish team.

Shuttleworth said that this new certification (for GlassFish and JEE5)
removes much of the programming drudgery and gives developers more
quality time to create cutting-edge enterprise Java applications more
rapidly than before.

"The combination of GlassFish and Ubuntu gives developers access to the
leading open-source frameworks that will be key to developing
next-generation Web 2.0 applications," he added.

Canonical also announced final certification and support for Ubuntu on
Sun's x64 (x86, 64-bit) hardware, which are powered by AMD Opteron
microprocessors.

Can Ubuntu jump from community to commercial? Click here to read more.

At JavaOne, Shuttleworth's company had announced certification of Ubuntu
on Sun's UltraSPARC processor-based Sun Fire T1000 and T2000 servers
that use Sun's energy-efficient CoolThreads technology.

The expansion announced Nov. 8 includes support for the Sun Fire X4100
and X4200 servers, as well as the Sun Ultra 20 and 40 Workstations. This
means that enterprises will now be able to run Ubuntu on Sun's x64
systems with the support of five-year software support provided by
Canonical.

"Our support staff is based in Montreal," Shuttleworth said. "We'll
handle it, 24/7 [for Ubuntu on the Sun platforms]."

Shuttleworth said the chief technology officer of a London bank he
visited recently has been "waiting and waiting for a good Linux server
distribution to run on industry-standard hardware" to implement on his
system.

"Sun has developed and built all these things carefully and extremely
well—it is all well-documented," Shuttleworth said.

The GlassFish community is currently developing a JEE5 certified
application server, which contains core modules upon which many other
enterprise Java implementations will be based.

++++++++++

Sun expands Ubuntu certification: Ubuntu to bundle Sun's GlassFish
application server
VNUNet
Tom Sanders
November 9, 2006
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2168238/sun-expands-ubuntu

Sun Microsystems has expanded the certification for the Ubuntu Linux
distribution to its Opteron based servers.

The distribution's commercial sponsor Canonical also will bundle Sun's
open source GlassFish application server for Java Enterprise Edition 5
that is due out later this year.

The Linux distribution last summer started offering the Java runtime
environment as an optional download.

Ubuntu is based on Debian. The software is a popular desktop Linux
version and last June also launched a server version.

Canonical aims to create a business around the Linux distribution by
offering support. But instead of bundling support with updates through
annual subscription plans such as the ones that are offered by Red Hat
or Novell, Canonical plans to build a network of independent support
providers.

Sun earlier this year started certifying Ubuntu for its Niagara servers.
The company today is expanding the certification with its SunFire X4100
and X4200 AMD Opteron servers as well as the Sun Ultra 20 and 40
workstations.

The server maker so far is the only mainstream hardware vendor certify
its hardware for Ubuntu.

++++++++++

Ubuntu maker to distribute Sun's Java: Canonical's Linux software will
include Sun's Glassfish for running Java programs on servers
CNET (also appeared on ZDNet, ZDNet India, FreeSoftNews, BlueBoxSystem,
Blogator and McNaton's Blog)
Stephen Shankland
November 7, 2006
http://news.com.com/Ubuntu+maker+to+distribute+Suns+Java/2110-7344_3-6133411.html?tag=html.alert

Canonical will distribute Sun's open-source Glassfish software for
running Java on servers with the Ubuntu version of Linux, the companies
plan to announce Wednesday. Glassfish, released in 2005, is Java
Enterprise Edition software that lets programs run on servers; it relies
on core Java Standard Edition software that Sun plans to begin making
open-source by the end of 2006. Glassfish competes with open-source
application software including Apache's Geronimo and Red Hat's JBoss.

Canonical is commercializing Ubuntu; a developer conference is taking
place this week at Google, an Ubuntu user. In addition, as expected, Sun
and Canonical plan to announce Ubuntu is certified on Sun Fire X4100 and
X4200 servers, and Ultra 20 and Ultra 40 workstations, all machines that
use Advanced Micro Devices' Opteron processor.

++++++++++

Ubuntu, Sun Get Closer on Linux
Internetnews.com (also appeared on DevX News, IT Management, Good
Software and Datamation)
Sean Michael Kerner
November 8, 2006
http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3642481

Sun and Ubuntu GNU/Linux are getting even closer.

Canonical, the commercial sponsor of the Ubuntu distribution and Sun are
expanding their existing partnership to Sun's x86 hardware.

That means Sun will now certify Ubuntu and Canonical will support Ubutnu
running on the Sun Fire X4100 and X4200 servers, as well as the Sun
Ultra(TM) 20 and 40 Workstations. Back in May, Sun and Canonical
certified Ubuntu on Sun's UltraSPARC Niagara servers the Sun Fire T1000
and T2000.

The certification, however, does not pertain to the most recent version
of Ubuntu, code named "Edgy," which was released at the end of October.

Sun and Canonical are instead certifying the previous Ubuntu release,
codenamed "Dapper" which Canonical had previously designated as a Long
Term Support (LTS) version.

"In time I expect we'll certify on other releases," Jane Silber, COO of
Canonical, told internetnews.com. "But right now because of the long
term support of Dapper, that's the one that is most interesting for
certification."

In addition to hardware certification, Sun's Project Glassfish will now
find its way into Ubuntu as well. GlassFish is Sun's Java Enterprise
Edition 5 application server. GlassFish is not currently in Ubuntu Edgy
nor is it in Ubuntu's main software repositories.

Silber explained that GlassFish will initially be in Ubuntu's
multi-verse repository of non-mainline packages. GlassFish is expected
to go into release in April of 2007.

The partnership does not include Sun's sales channel reselling Ubuntu
either.

"But we do work closely with them [on Sun sales]," Silber said. "We have
participated in joint approaches to customers though people still buy
support directly from us."

Other Sun open source technologies such as the NetBeans development
suite are not currently part of the partnership. Though NetBeans can
work on Ubuntu, it is not currently part of any official Ubuntu software
repository.

Tom Marble, senior Java performance engineer for Sun Microsystems told
internetnews.com that official NetBeans support for Ubuntu is something
that Sun is working on very aggressively.

According to Silber, Canonical is not working on any kind of deal with
Microsoft for patent licensing, unlike Novell, which recently struck a
deal with Microsoft that provides Novell some patent protection for
alleged Microsoft intellectual property that may be included in Linux
distributions.

"I don't think people really know the terms of the deal yet between
Microsoft and Novell and I see no reason why we need to have that sort
of discussion with them at this time," Silber said.

Ubuntu's relationship with Debian on the other hand remains strong.
Ubuntu is derived from Debian which itself is gearing up for a release
codenamed "Etch" later this year.

"Debian is very important and I don't think the importance of our
relationship with Debian has diminished at all," Silber said. " I think
that it's the foundation that we build on and we have no plan or desire
to increase any distance there."

Sun has a relationship with Debian as well, though unlike HP Sun does
not support Debian directly. In August of this year, HP announced that
it would be providing commercial support for Debian.

"Our collaboration with Debian is important but as we go to market and
talk about enterprise level support , Canonical is the vehicle with
which we can get enteprise class support for this kind of distribution,"
Sun's Tom Marble said.

"Debian as an organization is really not organized to deliver the kind
of support that Canonical is able to deliver."

++++++++++

Sun expands support for Ubuntu Linux
IDG News Service (also appeared on InfoWorld, CIO, CIO India, TechWorld,
LinuxWorld, NetworkWorld, AjaxWorld International, Linux Daily, Open IT
World and TuxMachines.org)
Robert Mullins
November 8, 2006
http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/11/08/HNsunsupportsubuntu_1.html

Sun Microsystems is making its Java Enterprise Edition 5 programming
platform available on the open-source Ubuntu Linux distribution.

Java Enterprise Edition 5 is the first Java application server to be
distributed via Ubuntu, according to Jane Silber, chief operating
officer for Canonical, the nonprofit sponsor of Ubuntu Linux. The deal
was set to be announced Wednesday at the Ubuntu Development Summit in
Mountain View, California.

Java Enterprise Edition is a programming platform to develop and run
distributed Java applications on modular software components running on
an application server.

The particular version of Java Enterprise Edition 5 (EE 5) that will run
on Ubuntu is the one developed by the Sun-sponsored GlassFish Community,
an open-source software development group focused on enterprise-level
applications, including documentation, administration, monitoring, and
support.

Offerings such as the GlassFish-Ubuntu combination give developers
access to the open-source frameworks needed to develop the next
generation of Web 2.0 applications. The combination gives Ubuntu access
to more Java servers, Silber said.

"It helps us and the Ubuntu development community in terms of making
GlassFish available and deploying enterprise systems and applications,"
Silber said.

Also Wednesday, Sun was set to announce that Canonical will certify and
support Ubuntu on Sun's x64 family of servers, which are based on
Advanced Micro Devices' Opteron processor platform. Ubuntu already is
certified to run on servers and workstations based on Sun's UltraSparc
processors.

++++++++++

Sun certifies Ubuntu on its servers
Techworld
Matthew Broersma
November 6, 2006
http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsID=7268&pagtype=all

Sun will certify Canonical's Ubuntu Linux on its x86 servers, the
company has said.

Earlier this year, Ubuntu became the first Linux distribution to support
Sun's UltraSparc T1 processor, also known as Niagara, which powers Sun's
CoolThreads servers, the Sun Fire T1000 and T2000.

The closer alignment with Sun comes alongside Ubuntu's move to expand
from its well-known desktop Linux into servers. Sun, meanwhile, is
relatively new to the x86 server business and faces plenty of competition.

The two companies have nearly completed certification work for Sun's
X4100 and X4200 servers and Ultra 20 and 40 workstations, according to a
report from IT news website News.com. The partnership will reportedly
later extend to Sun's "Rev F" Opteron-based servers. The deal means that
enterprises will be able to run Ubuntu on Sun servers with tech support
from Canonical.

Last month, Canonical released Ubuntu 6.10, code-named Edgy Eft, less
than five months after the first enterprise-focused release of Ubuntu,
Version 6.0 LTS (Long Term Support), code-named Dapper Drake. That
release included five years of support on the server and three years of
support on the desktop.

In addition to a speedier boot time, the 6.10 release, which will be
maintained for 18 months, provides a sharper design, new desktop
applications and enhanced security, Canonical says. Canonical executives
said, however, that if enterprises are looking for long-term support and
a more "polished" operating system, their best bet is to stick with 6.0 LTS.

Ubuntu's Developer Summit is held this week in Mountain View, California.

++++++++++

Sun, Ubuntu Certifying Linux on x86 Servers
CNET
Stephen Shankland
November 3, 2006
http://news.com.com/Sun%2C+Ubuntu+certifying+Linux+on+x86+servers/2100-1010_3-6132211.html

Sun Microsystems and Canonical have nearly completed work to certify
that the Ubuntu version of Linux runs smoothly on Sun's x86 servers,
sources familiar with the situation said.

The companies are expected to announce details of the partnership Monday
in conjunction with the Ubuntu Developer Summit in Mountain View,
Calif., from Nov. 5 to 10, according to sources familiar with the plan.
Canonical helps develop Ubuntu and sells support.

Sun confirmed the certification work late Thursday. "This means that
enterprises will now be able to run Ubuntu on Sun's x64-based systems
with the confidence of five-year support provided by Canonical,"
spokeswoman Terry Molini said.

The certification work is expected to begin with Sun's X4100 and X4200
servers and the Ultra 20 and 40 workstations, one source familiar with
the work said. Later, "Rev F" Opteron-based servers, including the X2100
M2 and X2200 M2, will be included.

The partnership links two companies angling for a higher profile and
more customers. Ubuntu, a relatively new version of Linux, is vying
against Red Hat and Novell for a place in the server market, while Sun
is trying to establish its "Galaxy" line of x86 servers against rival
products from IBM, Hewlett-Packard, Dell and others.

Canonical didn't comment for this story.

Certification, a necessity for many customers, ensures that products
work together. Certification partnerships also can involve work to
ensure mutual customers can resolve problems.

The Ubuntu conference will be held at the facilities of Google, whose
developers, Shuttleworth said, use Ubuntu Linux.

At the conference, programmers will discuss the sequel to Ubuntu's new
6.10 "Edgy Eft" release.