dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish functions?

From: Mark Basler <Mark.Basler_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:18:31 -0800

Hi Guys,

Glassfish uses a launcher that creates a java command from the settings
in domain.xml. When the server starts, the java command is sent to the
server.log of the domain being started. Couldn't that be stored and
re-used for subsequent startups? The time stamp on the domain.xml could
be used to monitor if any changes have been made to the startup
configuration of the appserver.

Currently glassfish has a *non-supported* function that will also
display this command in delimited format. To see this command run the
startserv script under the bin directory of the domain you are trying to
start. For example:

C:\glassfish\domains\domain1\bin\startserv.bat display

This mechanism is used by the native launcher to get the actual java
command to start glassfish. I know this mechanism will be changed in
future releases, but the ability to get the actual java command to start
glassfish should remain.

Maybe if enough developers request the functionality, the actual start
command of the appserver could be exposed through a public api/command
for developers to use for tasks such as this.

Hope this helps...

Thanks - Mark