dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: HEADS-UP: default-web-module optimization

From: Craig McClanahan <Craig.McClanahan_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 14:31:46 -0700

Ken Paulsen wrote:

> FWIW, I do think the default-web-module feature is nice. I don't have
> the strong use case that Bill is looking for, but it is convenient.
> We're in the process of developing the new version of the GlassFish
> admin console (JSF-based), and we're doing this as a new web module.
> It's nice to deploy them as 2 different context roots and be able to
> point the "default" to the old one... for now. When we're fully
> functional, we'll just switch the default-web-module to the new one.
> As a developer, I can do this during development. Of course, I can
> also modify the URL...
>
> I also like the idea of having a "real" context root, but having my
> app easiliy accessible (i.e.: http://localhost:4848). This isn't
> possible w/o redirection on server's like Tomcat.

With one minor correction, this *is* actually possible in Tomcat. If
you go to URL

    http://localhost:4848/

you will be executing the welcome page of the application that has been
installed for context path "" in the Tomcat configuration. No
redirection is required.

It seems that Glassfish actually has a limitation here with respect to
Tomcat -- you must deploy your application on a non-default context
path, AND point your default context root at it, in order to use a URL
like this. That's an extra configuration step, and exposes a public URL
in addition to what you really want.

Craig