dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: glassfish v2 build b14 has been promoted

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 10:25:33 -0700

Hi Tom,

This problem will continue to be there because the "bundle"
downloaded contains a file called appserv-se.jar. The way
versioning algorithm works is that it first looks at appserv-se.jar
and then appserv-rt.jar. Since appserv-se.jar will say
that the present installation is "Enterprise Edition" and
default value being it is a "Platform Edition", with the presence
of appserv-se.jar, you will always see "Enterprise Edition" as the
product version.

This is the outcome of bundling everything together and I think you
should not be downloading/building the "Clustering" solution if
you don't want it.

At the moment, I agree -- it is confusing.

If you are absolutely sure you'd never want to utilize the EE features,
you can comment out "appserv-se.jar" from asadmin script and it will
reflect the correct version.

IMO, this area needs a serious thought.

Going ahead, there shouldn't be any difference between Platform
and Enterprise Edition and only distinguishing factor should be the
"Build ID". The version command would then say:
"Sun Java System Application Server 9.1 (build bxx)".

There is time to realize that goal. For the time being, logging an
issues seems in order.

Kedar