dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: EJB30 style MDB

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_sun.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 23:51:53 -0700

Kyle Grucci wrote:
> While I also agree that it's a pain, there is a good reason why certain
> pieces of information are left to be defined outside of a portable
> application archive. A prebuilt archive is meant to be deployable on
> any compatible Java EE application server without recompilation or
> modification. Thus, any runtime impl specific information should be
> specified in the Deployment Plan (separate from the app) as described in
> JSR-88.

Depends on what your goals are.

If your goal is to produce a portable application (and we certainly
hope most people have that goal), then you're right.

But it turns out that a fair number of people don't care that much
about portability and are more concerned with convenience. As long
as they're making a conscious choice, I don't see a problem with
giving them non-portable annotations that make their development
easier.