dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: [Fwd: why is CPU usage so poor on Glassfish startup?]

From: Scott Oaks <Scott.Oaks_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 13:22:00 -0400

> What I don't "get" is why the other modules don't perform their
> initialization in a separate thread, with suitable threading locks or
> barriers when there are dependencies. The server *should* be able to
> start up in about 2 seconds on my MacBook Pro.

One thing that impacts this is the Java classloading hierarchy; all
class loaders used by the appserver delegate to the system classloader,
so that becomes a big single-threaded bottleneck. We are investigating
ways to improve this in 9.1.

What led you to conclude that the server should be able to start in 2
seconds?

-Scott