dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Running glassfish in foreground?

From: Kohsuke Kawaguchi <Kohsuke.Kawaguchi_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:31:16 -0700

Cheng Fang wrote:
> asadmin start-domain --verbose
> asadmin help start-domain
>
> --verbose By default this flag is set to false. If set
> to true, detailed server startup output is
> displayed. On Windows, press CTRL-Break in
> the domain's
> window to print a thread dump. On UNIX,
> press CTRL-C to kill the server and press
> CTRL-\ to print a thread dump.

Ah, this is little better. On Windows, is there anyway to shut down a
server started like this gracefully? If I Ctrl-C, it kills the batch
file but the rest keeps running, and I need to manually "asadmin
stop-domain".

Also, I noticed that when I do "start-domain --verbose", it creates two
cmd.exe processes (for two batch files), and three Java processes. I was
hoping to just see one Java process, so that I can kill it with Ctrl+C
(or Process.destroy() from Java) and be done with it.

I'm curious why this many processes are necessary. Sorry to keep using
Tomcat as a comparison, but when I do "catalina.bat run", I only see one
cmd.exe and one Java process (and when I invoke it from Java, I can
recreate the batch file, so all I need to launch is another Java process.)

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi