dev@glassfish.java.net

Wanted: Improving the Maven story for GlassFish...

From: Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart <pelegri_at_sun.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 10:22:12 -0700

We just pushed a few more components to our maven repository (see
http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/theaquarium?entry=java_persistence_and_ejb_jars)
and we will continue adding components, and I expect that, as part of
GlassFish v2, we will normalize and automate the creation of these
components.

The intention is to make this repository serve the larger Java
Community. This is something that, over the years, Sun has been asked
to do, and now, with the Open Source focus, we can deliver on. I have
already seen people starting to use javamail and activation from there,
and I think it would be useful to spend some energy in making the
repository as useful as possible.

Probably the first thing to do is to start collecting ideas of what
needs to be done. By my tally we have:

Components
   JavaPersistence API, TopLink Essentials,
   JSTL 1.2, JSP 2.0, Servlet 2.4, JSF 1.1, JSF 1.2
   FastInfoset, XMLStream
   JavaMail
   Java Activation Framework
   JAXB
   JAX-WS, SAAJ

Relatives
   Facelets

Tools GF uses
   Japex
   Dalma

What components are clearly missing? Bill was talking about doing a
javaee.jar just for the APIs. I noticed that JAX-RPC seems missing and
that should be easy to add, so I just sent a ping to Doug about it.

What else should we do? Some thoughts...

* We need a better index than the blogs at TA... :-)
* Regular announcements somewhere (including the Maven USERS mailing list)
* Synchronization with ibiblio?
* Better integration with NB/Eclipse support?

What else?

Who has expertise in this area? Volunteers to help?

        - eduard/o