dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish build process: can't it be easier?

From: Qingqing Ouyang <Qingqing.Ouyang_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:05:13 -0600

Markus Fuchs wrote:

> Hi Qingqing,
>

>> Hi, Markus:
>>
>> I was under the impression that we are discussing how to make 1) and
>> 2) simpler. But it sounds like your objective is only to support
>> senario 3). Is that right?
>

> Not exactly. I strongly believe we will improve 1) and 2) by
> addressing 3)

It's more like we will open the Pandora's box for 1) and 2) by
addressing 3).

If the goal here is to make the entire appserver build easier, let's
just say that and focus on _just_ that. Supporting a better individual
module build, i.e. 3) could be listed as one of the objectives we want
to achieve.

The appserver build is much more complicated and much less flexible than
a single module build. Using the objectives for building a module as
the guideline for building the entire appserver just sounds backwards to me.

Thanks,
Q^2