dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Mac OS X Build failure (third day in a row)

From: Ed Burns <ed.burns_at_sun.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 07:24:14 -0800

DP> We will add this option to use bootstrap-all for Building from empty
DP> server image or from source but "bootstrap" will also work.
DP> http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Projects/GlassFishBuildQuestions#AllBootStrap

DP> We don't have Mac build passing since 10/28 so this build problem
DP> may be there.. but bootstrap-all will resolve this till we get the
DP> issue resolved. thanks Dinesh

Dinesh and Markus recommended taking this off the dev list, but I think
there are some actionable items here that need wider discussion.

1. The off-swan Mac OS X build

Dinesh asserts that off-swan Mac OS X build, including bootstrap-all
works.

Ed is unable to substantiate that claim.

Jerome asserts there is some missing dependency jar that is causing the
problem.

Who is right?

2. idempotency of maven goals

Also, we appear to have discovered a breach in the idempotency of goals:

MF> The order for
MF>
MF> clobber checkout bootstrap-all clean
MF>
MF> doesn't matter as long these goals are before build.

MV> Actually it does matter and I learned it the hard way: clobber removes
MV> ant jars, so you can't do clean until bootstrap-all :(

This latter point should be clarified in the documentation.

Ed