admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: getting admin port number

From: Kedar Mhaswade <kedar.java.net_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 13:00:54 -0700

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Tim Quinn <tim.quinn_at_oracle.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Carla.
>
> So far things should work OK if the administrator has chosen to secure the
> admin traffic. (The admin will have set up Grizzly to redirect
> http://myhost:4848 to https://myhost:4849 and our asadmin client will know
> how to deal with that.)
>
> If the administrator has set up an admin username and password, how are
> those values sent given that we don't support
>
> --password
>
> on asadmin commands? Is there a preceding step which securely transfers a
> password file to be specified using
>
> --passwordfile

AFAIK, we use HTTP Basic Auth. So, there is no password file transferred.
Asadmin adds the appropriate header encoded in Base-64 by reading the
client-side passwordfile (property named AS_ADMIN_PASSWORD) or accepting the
password on prompt. If it gets redirect, well, it sends the same header
again, this time to secure URL.

To be absolutely sure, admins should use --secure to begin with which should
result in no redirection and password is put on secure channel only.

(This is how it was in GlassFish v3).

-Kedar