admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: getting admin port number

From: Tim Quinn <tim.quinn_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 16:02:15 -0500

On Jun 22, 2010, at 3:00 PM, Kedar Mhaswade wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Tim Quinn <tim.quinn_at_oracle.com>
> wrote:
> Thanks, Carla.
>
> So far things should work OK if the administrator has chosen to
> secure the admin traffic. (The admin will have set up Grizzly to
> redirect http://myhost:4848 to https://myhost:4849 and our asadmin
> client will know how to deal with that.)
>
> If the administrator has set up an admin username and password, how
> are those values sent given that we don't support
>
> --password
>
> on asadmin commands? Is there a preceding step which securely
> transfers a password file to be specified using
>
> --passwordfile
>
> AFAIK, we use HTTP Basic Auth. So, there is no password file
> transferred.
We were talking about the use case Joe explained in a later follow-up,
in which ssh is driving local command execution on remote systems. I
was trying to confirm that indeed only local commands will be run this
way; one of the examples cited in the one pager was start-local-
instance which, AFAIK, syncs with the DAS and therefore could require
authentication.

> Asadmin adds the appropriate header encoded in Base-64 by reading
> the client-side passwordfile (property named AS_ADMIN_PASSWORD) or
> accepting the password on prompt. If it gets redirect, well, it
> sends the same header again, this time to secure URL.
>
> To be absolutely sure, admins should use --secure to begin with
> which should result in no redirection and password is put on secure
> channel only.
>
> (This is how it was in GlassFish v3).
Well, that's true for 3.0.1!

For 3.1 we are tightening things up a bit. No credentials will be
sent in the clear. Watch for a one-pager about this within a month.

- Tim