admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: Admin istener for instances

From: Byron Nevins <byron.nevins_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 17:14:39 -0700

On 5/5/2010 3:46 PM, Vijay Ramachandran wrote:
For command replication in 3.1, we are planning to use the same CLI-DAS communication mechanism for communicating between DAS-Instance(s) also. For CLI-DAS communication, we have an admin adapter listening on admin port (4848 by default) through which commands from CLI come into the DAS for execution. For us to be able to use the same mechanism for DAS-Instance communication, we will need the same admin adapter listening in an admin port for each of the instances also.

Looks like in 2.X, there was no "admin listener" running on an admin port. So, for 3.X, this has to be a new requirement which will require new entry in domain.xml. When I looked at domain.xml to see which will be the best place this information can be present, couple of other things also caught my attention. I am probably missing/misunderstanding something here. So here are a bunch of questions. Attached here is a sample domain.xml which has a cluster with two instances.

1. In the domain.xml, the instances and cluster are pointing to the same config element, and hence, to the same listeners - does this mean that we are not going to support multiple instances on the same node ? I am missing something here - can someone please enlighten me ?
A cluster is only a logical grouping of instances.
Take a look at how V2 does it.  In fact this is critical -- everyone should be very familiar with how V2 does it.  In the case of your questions it's simple.  Start a fresh V2 domain and add some cluster(s) and instance(s).  Look at domain.xml.

(Default Behavior) All the instances share a config element.  Then multiple instances will have their configuration overridden by Property's that are placed in the server element of each instance.

But -- you need to do things manually now -- just edit your domain's domain.xml for now.  It would be great to find out if the port reassignments that V2 would do will also work in V3.  Why don't you
try that ?  To see how this happens in V2 -- create a cluster, add 2 instances, look in domain.xml at the server element of the second instance.

2. Any objections if we add an additional network listener element to the default-config for admin listener ?
Jennifer's call...

Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: admin-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net For additional commands, e-mail: admin-help@glassfish.dev.java.net

--
Byron Nevins  -  Oracle Corporation
Home: 650-359-1290