admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: Final Review of create-domain man page

From: Dixie Pine <Dixie.Pine_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 12:39:11 -0700

On 10/21/09 09:14 PM, Nandini Ektare wrote:

>>> *BUG?* 4848 and 8080 should not be in the command message, but they
>>> are. They should be shown as <adminport> and <instanceport>
>>> replaceables. I changed the man page. Can the command message be fixed?
>>>

>> It's a feature. :-)
>>
>> Seriously, people asked for the usage message to indicate the default
>> values of the options, where they're known, so that's what the code does.
>> If there's consensus that that should be removed, that's easy to do.
>>
>> Let's see what people think. I created a poll...
>>
>> http://sun.doodle.com/6t38vi48u5uyvpg4
>>
> I like the feature because
> 1. It's like example and usage merged together (thought it may not be
> a widely used practice, I feel it 's convenient)
> 2. More important: In v3 we can't see defaults in the usual place --
> domain.xml. So this feature helps to that end.
If we are choosing to do this (include defaults for replaceables) you
need to do it everywhere, which you don't. This is why users get
confused and think they should type 4848---because they don't see this
often in a command message.

Do you all really want to redo all the messages to include default
values? And how would you describe this is the message?

The defaults are listed in the man pages with the descriptions of the
options in the Options section, in a much more complete way than they
can be shown in Synopsis or in a command message.

While we're discussing this, the true|false presentation would be better
if the actual boolean were shown. First listed would be the default.
Users could get used to that and not think they should type true.