admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: Pre-TP2 Review of GlassFish Administration Guide

From: Dixie Pine <Dixie.Pine_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 17:42:53 -0700

Reviewers: This is the most thorough review I've received, so I'm cc'ing
all on my responses. If you have additions or corrections, please respond.
Dixie

Jennifer Chou wrote:
> Hi Dixie,
>
> I reviewed most of the beginning sections and those commands I worked
> on: start/stop-database, create/delete/list-resource-ref,
> create/delete/list/jdbc-resource,
> create/delete/list-jdbc-connection-pool.
> Organization looks good. Any cluster-specific things should be
> removed for TP2.
> Also cc'ing Jerome, Dinesh, and Sahoo to help clarify whether JavaDB
> is bundled. It is mentioned in the guide as bundled on p. 19, 54, and 68
I removed all text referring to bundled Java DB. I saw some email
threads which I believe culminated in saying that Java DB is not bundled
for TP2. If user has to download it separately, I hope the install doc
and the quick start are telling users that.

> p.17 - name change
> Should "Sun Java System Application Server documentation set" be
> changed to "GlassFish Application Server documentation" set? I
> believe the name change is official. Can you check with managment?
You're right. The master preface had not been updated, so name was wrong
there. It's fixed now.

> p. 19 - I don't know if JavaDB is included. I think Jerome, Sahoo,
> Dinesh can clarify.
> /For information about the JavaDB database included with the
> Application Server, see
> http://developers.sun.com/javadb/./
>
> p. 26 - remove 'the'
> /If you created multiple domains, you must start a separate Admin
> Console session to manage the each domain./
done

> p. 31 - Maybe this section can be removed?
> /For subcommands that can be run locally or remotely:/
> -The commands are either run locally or remotely. I don't think we
> have commands that can do both.
> -I don't think we support --local option.
> -The 3rd bullet is confusing. I think 'local' should be replaced with
> 'remote' in a couple places in this paragraph?
> /If none of the local remote options are set, either on the command
> line or in the environment, the
> subcommand runs locally by default. Setting the --local option to true
> overrides the local remote
> --host, --port, --user, and --passwordfile settings, even if
> specified. In this case, the
> subcommand runs locally./
I removed this list. Some of this old material has not been looked at in
a long time. I will take any chance to purge doubtful text.

> p. 31 - --help displays the entire manpage, not just usage. Move the
> example from the 2nd paragraph to the 1st.
> /You can obtain usage information for any of the asadmin utility
> subcommands by using the
> --help option. The usage information for that subcommand is displayed./
> For example, asadmin create-jdbc-resource --help.
done

> p.31 - --help without subcommand does not display list of all subcommands
> /Using the --help option without a subcommand displays a listing of
> all available
> subcommands./
> -Using the --help option without a subcommand displays information
> about asadmin utility command.
done

> p. 32 - You have to start the app server before you can see the help
> for a remote command. Need to run asadmin start-domain
added
> /To view command syntax and examples, type the command name followed
> by--help at the
> utility prompt. For example:
> asadmin create-jdbc-resource --help
> /
> p. 38 - I don't think profile option is supported for create-domain.
> Check with Siraj.
> /You can choose the profile of a domain only during creation. Use the
> --profile option with
> the create-domain command to specify a profile for the domain. If you
> do not use the
> --profile option to explicitly specify a profile, the default profile
> is associated with the domain.
> The AS_ADMIN_PROFILE variable in the asadminenv.conf file defines the
> default profile./
I hid this material for TP2. Does it apply for v3?

> p. 41 - typo
> fro -> for
fixed

> p. 43 - typo
> Tthe
fixed

> p. 43, 44, 45, 46, 117, 118, 119 Applies to all commands.
> --target option is not supported for TP2
removed

> p. 43 - typo
> /type asadmincreated-resource-ref --help/
> - Change to "type asadmin create-resource-ref --help"
fixed

> p. 44 - TP2 does not support clustering, it supports default server.
> Applies to all commands.
> Change:
> /The following example command lists resource references for the
> NewServer server:
> asadmin list-resource-refs --user admin --passwordfile passwords.txt
> MyCluster/
> The following example command lists resource references for the
> default server:
> asadmin list-resource-refs --user admin --passwordfile passwords.txt
Removed MyCluster and reworded the example lead-in sentences.

> p. 44 typo - remove 'the resource'
> /The following example command deletes a resource reference the
> resource named/
done

> p. 54 - I don't know if Application Server is really bundled with JavaDB.
> Can you check with Jerome, Dinesh, Sahoo?
> Also, p. 68 /The JavaDB/Derby JDBC driver is included with the
> Application Server by default,/
I have reworded without claiming that Java DB is bundled.

> p. 54 - Domain does not need to be running to use start-database
Removed. Did this get to Paul? I think I got this prerequisite from a
man page.

> p. 60 - typo - missing a '-' in front of -property
> /You can either use a -property option/
fixed

> p. 60 - typo - extra z, need space between --host and --passowordfile
> /list-jdbc-connection-pool --user --host--passzwordfile/
fixed

> p. 64 - Remove 'in a Developer Domain' to be consistent with others.
> /Deleting a JDBC Resource in a Developer Domain
> The following example command deletes a JDBC resource named
> jdbc/DerbyPool from a
> domain that uses the developer profile:/
done