users@genericjmsra.java.net

Re: GenericRA and Connection Pooling

From: Binod <Binod.Pg_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:11:36 +0530

Hi Jonathan,

> Hi,
>
> Got a question regarding Queue Connection Pooling.
>
> Here's the situation i've got a ejb which gets queue connections via
> the genericra. The ejb will send a message to a queue and receive a
> reply message via another queue so there should be at least 2
> connections here right? What i've done is configured the maximum
> connection pool size to 4 on the Connector Connection Pool page via
> the asadmin web page. Why is that once I spawn 5 threads to send
> messages to my ejb, I have 9 physical tcp connections to my MQ Manager?

What is the steady-pool-size?

> I've spawned 10, 15, 20 and 100 threads and it appears to have 9 tcp
> connections every time. Clearly it looks like the max pool size is 8
> (with an extra connection?? could you explain that bit as well?).
> Where do I correctly set the max pool size as I am at the point of
> tweaking the Generic RA so that it suits my organisation?

Under any condition, the max pool size will not exceed what is
configured in the connection
pool configuration. It could be that for 4 connections, MQ might be
using 2 connections each
to the database. Also, it is possible that there is one house keeping
connection created always
between MQ client and server.

Have you tried increasing the max pool size to say 15 and checked the
number of tcp connections?

Also, how are you checking the tcp connections? netstat?

thanks,
- Binod.

> I am using SJSAS8.1 on a WinXP machine running on JDK1.5
> MQSeries is running on a Solaris 8 server and is version 5.3

Thats fine :-)

- Binod.