dev@fi.java.net

StAX features <was> Re: setFeature Bug?

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 14:00:37 +0100

Tatu Saloranta wrote:
> Paul, since I'm quite interested in "all things stax",
> I was curious about this comment in particular:
>
> --- Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM> wrote:

>>With respect to what we have planned, the next
>>changes would be in
>>relation to better performant integration into JAXB
>>2.x and JAX-WS 2.x
>>e.g. currently we do not take advantage of all the
>>encoding algorithms
>>for use with JAXB (only the base64 encoding
>>algorithm). To do this
>>properly will require some augmentations to the StAX
>>API and therefore
>

> I was curious as to what features would these be, and
> whether they'd be implementation-specific extensions
> (customer properties for sjsxp), or actual additions
> to a later stax api/specs revision (1.1 or 2.0)?

Only the former, but specified on java.net. Koksuke created a new
project, see here [1], for the interface definitions. As for the spec
stuff i really do not know, i do hope that something happens in this
respect.

At the moment this project contains some basic stuff and there are a
couple of documented TODOs.

Fundamentally we want to be able to:

1) iterate on the in-scope namespaces; and

2) reading/writing of primitive types.

> There are lots of things that could be added, and many
> maybe should be added... not to mention tons of
> underspecified things in 1.0 specs.

Totally agree on all three points!

I would be interested in knowing your views on what you think should and
may be added. Can you enumerate?

Thanks,
Paul.

[1] https://stax-ex.dev.java.net/