dev@ws-test-harness.java.net

Re: Dispatch and new test harness

From: Kohsuke Kawaguchi <Kohsuke.Kawaguchi_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 14:03:38 -0700

kathy walsh wrote:
> Kohsuke,
>
> I haven't looked much at the test harness yet, and am wondering if you
> can implement a dispatch test sample and install it in the workspace.
>
> With the caveat that I haven't examined the harness closely,
> I have a bit of concern as to whether support for dispatch clients
> is currently present.
>
> Dispatch clients may not have access to wsdl, and standardly do not
> use jax-ws tools. Can you send some attention to dispatch and
> the test harness and reassure me that dispatch capability is present?

Thanks for bringing this up, and sorry for my delay in the response!

We certainly don't have a dispatch example today, but I believe it's
relatively straight-forward to support it. The only aspect that we need
to pay attention is that the harness needs to 'own' the communication
channel between the client and the server, and hidden from the test
code. This is so that the test data can be reused across multiple
containers and transports.

The dispatch is bit tricky with this respect, because the test code
needs to set the endpoint address, which is otherwise hidden by the
harness. And my current thinking is that we just export variable
'endpointAddress' into the test code (for the test code to create a
dispatch), and I think this still allow the harness to control the
communication channel.

Please talk to Ken. I believe he can change the harness to export this
new variable, and work with you to get one sample from the current
JAX-WS RI converted into the new harness.

It will be a good exercise for the test harness team as well.

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi