users@woodstock.java.net

Re: Configurable facets?

From: Ratnadeep Bhattacharjee <Ratnadeep.Bhattacharjee_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 17:56:37 -0400

Michael Kong wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I can see use-cases where I need have the filechooser component not
> reveal server name or even to allow much flexibility for the
> lookInField attribute.
>
> An example would be where we don't want to reveal the server name or
> physical foilder names to the user - but rather substitute logical
> names for the folders instead. While I could do some gymnastics in
> the backing bean I understand from the docco its possible to
> customise them as facets but that seems to still require equivalent
> controls to exist on the page.
>
> I've not used this feature to swap in/out facet implementations
> before so maybe I'm misunderstanding that?
>
> What I think I'm after is an option to specify that various facets of
> the component are not to be displayed (hidden) and instead would be
> managed solely inside the backing bean.

The whole point of allowing facets wout here is to make it configurable
by the app developer. Should you choose not to show that component at
all you can do so by simply specifying the facet and setting the
"rendered" attribute to false.

<webuijsf:fileChooser ....>
<f:facet name="serverLabel">
     <webuijsf:label text="" rendered="false"/>
</f:facet>
<f:facet name="serverNameText">
     <webuijsf:staticText text="" rendered="false"/>
</f:facet>

</webuijsf:fileChooser>

Be careful about setting the "lookin" field to that state as the
filechooser depends on its contents as the user navigates thru the
filesystem.

> Can you point me at any other docco or examples showing how I could
> achieve that?>> PS: Great component set and I've settled on woodstock
> after detailed comparison with all the competition - well done!

Great that you like the components. Thanks.

-Deep.