users@woodstock.java.net

Re: Woodstock Performance

From: Dan Labrecque <Dan.Labrecque_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:38:59 -0400

jsr wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I’ve been reading about the performance increase with the latest builds and
> Dojo .9 and was excited to see what it could do for my fairly large
> application, so I decided it was time to test a NB6 daily build again. I’m
> sad to say that using 200710220000, I’ve found the runtime performance to
> actually be worse then with 5.5.1. How can this be?

Many Woodstock components are now based on Dojo .9 and JavaScript.
Although outputting raw HTML may be a bit quicker, we didn't have good
support for client-side updating. We also didn't support Ajax, either.

> For most pages, performance appears to be about the same. I did notice that
> instead of the page showing up in the browser fully rendered (as it did with
> 5.5.1), it now seems to partially show up, and then hangs the browser for
> half a second to a second before it finishes rendering. I assume this is the
> JavaScript being slow with rendering. Although this is annoying, it isn’t
> that bad since it is only for a second or so.

What you're seeing is the raw HTML displaying first, the rest is
rendered during the window.onLoad event. (This is a convention Dojo .9
has forced on us.) Regardless if the window.onLoad event is used or not,
it actually takes the same amount of time finish loading the page
completely.

> The real slowness seems to come when trying to display tables, particularly
> large ones. I have a table with about 800 rows, set to be paged at 200 rows
> per a page. This table has 5 columns with 1 hyperlink and 4 static text
> components. When you view the page, it initially displays part of the page
> (like with all pages), and then hangs the browser for around 10 seconds
> while it finishes rendering. The size of the page that was downloaded is
> 368KB. With 5.5.1, it takes around 1.5 seconds to fully render the page and
> the page size is only 170KB. If I hit the button to display the whole table
> on one page, it hangs the browser for about 90 seconds with the new
> woodstock components. With 5.5.1, it takes around 3 seconds to display the
> page.

I have not seen a performance issue with the table, but I'm not
attempting to display 800 rows, either. We'll have to test this.
> I’ve been very anxious for 6.0 to come out but with runtime performance
> being worse then 5.5.1 and a lot of CSS that was previously supported not
> working on 6.0, it is going to be very difficult to justify the upgrade.

HTML may be output differently for some widgets. What CSS is not
supported (e.g., are Woodstock selectors broken)?

Thanks,
Dan