users@websocket-spec.java.net

[jsr356-users] [jsr356-experts] Re: Dynamic Path matching

From: Danny Coward <danny.coward_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:32:26 -0700

Thanks Mark and Joe.

I agree with most of your comments...I think the subpaths one in
particular would get complicated. They all leave us the possibility of
mapping multiple URIs to map to a single endpoint, with variable amounts
of ease. We will need some definition of how the implementations are to
deal with that situation in the spec. I do think we need one of these
technique to manage the URI-space of the endpoints though.

I think I'd either go for the servlet mapping style or the uri-templates
as well.

On the plus side, developers are familiar with servlet mappings, and
it'd be consistent with how we are proposing to apply the web security
model. But I think it can be somewhat difficult to arrange well with
certain hieirarchies - that might get restrictive particularly since we
are often going to be mapping web sockets within a web application with
its own URI-space. URI templating, now that they have a formal spec,
does seem to be being picked up by other projects, and there seem to be
a variety of implementations. In particular, there are a few javascript
libraries that let you generate URIs from URI templates, which would
help us here because I think javascript clients to our web socket
endpoints is a primary use case.

I think what I'd like to do is include the uri-templating scheme in the
next draft (EDR) and both see what feedback we get and also implement it
in the RI and see how it is in real life.

- Danny

--
<http://www.oracle.com> 	*Danny Coward *
Java EE