jsr356-experts@websocket-spec.java.net

[jsr356-experts] Re: [jsr356-users] Re: High level Requirements and Example scenarios

From: Justin Lee <jlee_at_antwerkz.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:50:54 -0400

Trying again:

Agreed. A client should definitely be under consideration or we'll see the
proliferation of APIs like we do for HTTP (and there are efforts to bring
that under a JSR as well) so we should try to be ahead of the curve there.
As for relying on the servlet spec, I'm with Greg on that. The upgrade
mechanism being bandied about there might be useful but the rest of the API
is largely irrelevant. One of the more common requests I've gotten for the
grizzly/glassfish API is a way to access the HttpSession so I think we
should keep an eye out for that but beyond that, we shouldn't have tie
ourselves to anything servlet related.

As for exposing queues and encoding mentioned above, I'm not sure about
them... Folding in encoding into the JSR is almost certainly a bad idea.
Even on this one app here at ${work} we have at least 3 ways to map an
object to json depending on what we're using it for and who's going to see
it. There are enough serialization schemes and libraries that I feel it'd
be more of a handicap than anything else to codify that into the spec. As
for queues, I'm not sure we have a need as such. In the grizzly
implementation, we have some partial buffering internally based on how the
NIO code works. But we never really expose that implementation detail to
the user. I'm not sure exposing a queue would gain us anything really. I
could kinda go either way on this one but I feel it's largely unnecessary.

--
You can find me on the net at:
http://antwerkz.com                 http://antwerkz.com/+