jsr356-experts@websocket-spec.java.net

[jsr356-experts] Re: High level Requirements and Example scenarios

From: Remy Maucherat <rmaucher_at_redhat.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 18:52:52 +0200

On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 10:19 -0400, Wei Chen wrote:
> I agree that we should lower the requirement on Sevlet version (to,
> e.g. 2.5). Is there a reason that Web Socket has to use Servlet 3.1?

The plan I heard about is to use the connection upgrade API of Servlet
3.1, so that the websocket JSR implementation can be placed in the war
(similar to how JSF is a library that can be used in a war). Another
item of interest is that Servlet 3.1 will likely have asynchronous IO,
which could allow a more efficient design for the websockets spec.

It could also be possible to implement the JSR fully in container, and
since the upgrade mechanism is internal, the JSR API could be
implemented by containers implementing earlier Servlet versions. Maybe.

--
Remy Maucherat <rmaucher_at_redhat.com>
Red Hat Inc