users@wadl.java.net

Re: Must a "Web Application" be bound to a particular URI?

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 14:20:03 -0400

On May 14, 2007, at 12:27 PM, Joe Pallas wrote:

> It seems odd to me that the WADL resources element expects an
> absolute URI for the base, with no provision for
> parameterization. How can I describe a service that may be
> installed with, say, the same path on many different host/port
> combinations?

You can use resource_type to define types of resources that can be
made available at a variety of URIs. In an earlier draft of the
specification, a resource subtree could be defined at the top level
and included by reference elsewhere. However that approach fixes the
subtree path and isn't as flexible as the current resource_type
approach.

> The examples all seem to be one-of-a-kind services, like Yahoo or
> Amazon. Even the Atom example ultimately describes a single-
> endpoint service.

The Atom example shows how to describe a particular instance of an
Atom service using the technique noted above to define the components
of the Atom Publishing Protocol separately from a concrete
instantiation of the protocol.

> Would it make sense to allow the base URI to have parameters?

It might, do you have a particular use-case in mind ?

Thanks,
Marc.

---
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>