dev@wadl.java.net

Re: Updated WADL Spec

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 10:32:34 -0500

On Feb 4, 2009, at 10:10 AM, Ole Matzura wrote:

> Thank you! When do you expect these changes to become "official" and
> part of
> a release of some sort (maybe they already are)? I am asking since
> we have
> rather extensive WADL support in soapUI for the "previous version"
> and are
> asking ourselves if we should hurry to implement this or wait until
> it is
> finalized.

If there's no substantive feedback on the current draft within the
next couple of weeks then I'll push it out as a "official" release.
Until then please consider the latest spec as a draft and liable to
change. It was a shame to have to break backwards compatibility due to
issue 13 but I think the result is significantly more logical and
expressive I think.

> To what extent has the previous version been adopted by tools and
> developers?

I haven't been tracking adoption all that closely but I'm aware of
support in one form or another in the following: NetBeans, Eclipse,
Zembly, Kapow, WaveRider and soapUI.

> Should we maintain backwards compatibility for both importing
> and generating WADL files? Or just importing?

That's a tough question, I suspect it will take a while for all the
tools to support the new version so it might be best to support import
and generation of both versions for a while. It really depends on how
your users are using WADL and what other tools they are using.

Regards,
Marc.