dev@wadl.java.net

Re: Package names

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 14:37:42 -0400

On Oct 24, 2007, at 2:06 PM, Farrukh Najmi wrote:

> Marc Hadley wrote:
>> It would be good if people already using the plug-ins don't have
>> to go back and edit their build because of class name changes,
>> e.g. the com.sun.research.ws.wadl2java.WJCTask ant task. If folks
>> really want to move to a new package then we could keep the old
>> class and simply defer to the renamed class for backwards
>> compatibility.
>>

> As an implementor and user of wadl2java I would be faced with that
> impact. However, it is a small impact.
> Since we have not ever released WADL, I propose we sort these
> issues out now rather than post 1.0 release.
>
> Also, much of the work has already been done for the name change.
> It would be painful to undo it now.
>
> Can we please keep the name change?

I'm OK with the package change, I'm just suggesting we put in a
wrapper with the old package name to preserve backwards
compatibility, e.g.:

package com.sun.research.ws.wadl2java;

public class WJCTask extends org.jvnet...WJCTask {}

I don't know how many people are actively using the code now and I
agree its a small change to switch the ant taskdef but its even
easier for us to include a wrapper with the old name. I'll be happy
to add the class once you are done with the other maven related changes.

Marc.

---
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>
CTO Office, Sun Microsystems.