users@shoal.java.net

Re: [Shoal-Users] Question on Group Leader

From: Shreedhar Ganapathy <Shreedhar.Ganapathy_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 12:58:58 -0800

Hi Alireza
Nice to hear back from you. Mo has responded to your questions but I'd
just add to your last question below:

Alireza Farhoush wrote:
> If the network gets partitioned to two subgroups, will each subgroup
> have its own leader? And I hope that upon amalgamation the subgroups,
> there will only be a single leader?
>
> On a separate note, is it possible to use a transport other than JXTA?
> Or is the implementation strongly coupled with the JXTA facilities?
> For example, is leader election a functionality provided by JXTA or SHOAL?
Shoal has a couple of layers of interest. A generic API for consuming
clients and an SPI so we can integrate group comm frameworks beneath
through a SPI implementation. Current implementation uses JXTA and we
are looking for community contributions for other group comm libraries.
The group leader election functionality is provided the service provider
implementation that uses JXTA. We implicitly expect other frameworks to
have such functionality as well after looking at JGroups and Appia.
The leadership functionality is accessible to clients through the client
APIs.