users@shoal.java.net

Re: [Shoal-Users] Difference between the projects Shoal and Rio

From: Shreedhar Ganapathy <Shreedhar.Ganapathy_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 09:16:59 -0800

Hi Marco
I'm afraid I don't know much about Rio but have evaluated Jini.
A key benefit of Shoal is that it provides an API through which client
services can be dynamically registered irrespective of the underlying
group communication provider. In our default case, we have Jxta but
nothing prevents one from having a Jini or any other grouping
mechanism/toolkit to be that provider.
I'd encourage you to go through the overview presentation located on the
Shoal home page to get a quick and good idea of what Shoal offers.

Key benefits of using Jxta is its strong security model, choice of
transports over which communication can occur with almost zero
configuration, ability to transcend firewalls, Peer Id based addressing
semantics, its natural group composition based architecture, etc. To
build a notification bus and true group communication features, we had
to only add about 8 classes that provide the necessary group controller,
group view handling, health checking and network configuration
functionalities.

Do let us know if you have more questions.

regards
Shreedhar