users@shoal.java.net

Re: [Shoal-Users] Master node

From: Shreedhar Ganapathy <Shreedhar.Ganapathy_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 15:30:33 -0800

Hi Rob
Thanks for the questions.
My responses inline:

Rob Beazizo wrote:

> Does Shoal provide a way to track the coordinator of a group like
> JGroups does?

For client code, it is possible to do that as internally Shoal uses such
information.

> How might one go about doing this using Shoal?

The interface is not yet exposed but that should be trivial to do. I
will file an RFE for that and have this incorporated. Stay tuned.

> Specifically, when a core member is started, it knows it has a
> 'coordinator' state. If the current 'coordinator' member goes down,
> another member obtains the 'coordinator' state.

This is functionally dependent on the facilities provided by the
underlying group communication provider like JGroups or presently the
Jxta Management Provider. Both these libraries provide such a facility.
We only need to expose it in the client api so clients can use it

Thanks for bringing it up. Also feel free to bring up things you dont
see exposed but ones that will be useful, as RFEs through the Issue Tracker.

regards
Shreedhar