jsr369-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr369-experts] Re: Trailer header implementation

From: Edward Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 14:37:15 -0700

Points to emphasize relative to Shing-wai's Section 2.

1. Not preventing developers from doing less than 100% transport
protocol compliant things.

We've never been in the business of preventing apps from doing things
that are not 100% protocol compliant. Especially with an area like
trailers, it's important to allow for interoperability with endpoints
that may or may not fully implement the underlying transport protocol
"correctly" with respect to the RFCs.

2. Avoiding creating single methods that do multiple things.

Both Ba and Bb feature a setTrailer method that does two things:

1. Appends a value to the

Trailers:

header.

2. Appends a name/value pair to the trailer fields.

We've always avoiding introducing such complex and automatic APIs.

Considering both of these points, I strongly favor option Ab.

Also, we really need to close discussion on this because we're getting
very near the end. If we can't come to consensus by start of business
PDT next Friday, we should pull this feature from 4.0.

Thanks,

Ed