jsr369-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr369-experts] PROPOSAL: h2c with TCK client

From: Edward Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 14:40:28 -0700

Hello Volunteers,

This email only applies to EG members that plan to run the Servlet 4.0
TCK.

Unfortunately, in spite of our best efforts, there will be no JDK 8
backport of ALPN. The resolution is the ALPN implementation is left as
an implementation detail of the Servlet container. If we ever meet out
there on the conference trail, I'm happy to talk about it over a beer.

But, in any case, this leaves a problem for the TCK. The TCK must be
runnable under any Java SE 8 compatible JVM. Traditionally this applies
both to the TCK client and to the JVM running the Servlet Container.
The latter case is covered by the above resolution. The former is still
an open question.

This email proposes we modify the TCK such that it only exercises the
HTTP/2 features over h2c. In this way the ALPN resolution can stay
within the servlet container and not pollute the TCK client.

This appears to be the least bad option given the unfortunate resolution
of the ALPN backport request.

ACTION: Please reply by start of business Tuesday 25 April 2017. If
there are no responses, we'll go with this proposal.

Thanks,

Ed