jsr369-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr369-experts] Re: [servlet-spec users] Re: [146-URIEncoding] DISCUSSION

From: Stuart Douglas <sdouglas_at_redhat.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2017 13:23:56 +1000

On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 8:50 AM, Greg Wilkins <gregw_at_webtide.com> wrote:

> On 1 April 2017 at 01:07, Mark Thomas <markt_at_apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> The encoding to use to do the decoding must be selected before the
>> decoding takes place.
>

> Very good point!
>
> I agree this makes webapp specific encodings nigh impossible to implement
> generally. Counter proposal is simple and clear.

+1

Undertow does actually handle this in theory, although I am not sure
if anyone has ever tried to use it. Basically you have the option to
delay decoding the URI until the webapp is selected (so context paths
need to be provided in the raw encoded form), and can then decode the
URI to whatever encoding you wish. This is not something we recommend
though, and certainly not something we would want in the standard.

Stuart