jsr369-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr369-experts] Re: [servlet-spec users] [ADMIN] EG Meeting for ALPN JDK8 Backport: Tuesday 1 November

From: Greg Wilkins <gregw_at_webtide.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 10:10:24 +1100

On 27 October 2016 at 06:26, Edward Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com> wrote:

> Agenda:
>
> * Give Greg a chance to walk through some code scenarios to hopefully
> make the case for an API change in JDK 9 regarding the ALPN API and
> Cipher negotiation. Greg will verbally share the code snippets in the
> meeting using pastebin urls, such as
> <https://pastebin.mozilla.org/8922336>. The only thing Greg need
> share is the number to allow the rest of us to see it.

All,

thanks for the opportunity to present our issues with the current ALPN
proposal.

However, note that we are not necessarily advocating an API change - while
one solution could indeed be to enhance the API to allow an application
protocol to be set per cipher, the solution we most recently advocated is
to keep the API the same, but change the behaviour so that we can set the
application protocol a little bit later in the handshake process.

As it will be a voice only call, I have put together a google doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/13sA6_kdC5Eezdd3vfjKVvWZP_e9MI4bsYMr1B_5_EpU/edit?usp=sharing>
that describes the code I wish to talk to and the issue we have. Feel
free to put comments on the document prior to the call.

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@webtide.com> CTO http://webtide.com