jsr369-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr369-experts] Re: [servlet-spec users] Re: Servlet 4.0 and ALPN

From: Martin Mulholland <mmulholl_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 10:08:52 -0400

We have been discussing ALPN support for Servlet 4.0 here at IBM and do
not consider the current solution acceptable. A reasonable option would be
to provide a Java 8.1 release which includes ALPN support which Servlet
4.0 would then require. I strongly recommend that this is considered by
Oracle.

The current solution employed by Jetty works for the most part but is
problematic,
1. The OpenJDK patch needs to be rebuilt and then re-installed by
customers for every new JDK version. This creates a significant service
overhead.
2. Different patches will be needed for other JDK's. IBM could provide one
for the IBM JDK, what Oracle will do is not known.
3. The Jetty OpenJDK patch has dependencies on Jetty code and as a result
is not re-usable by other providers. Requiring each provider to provide
their own set of patches is asking a lot. Not even sure if it would be
legal, for example, for IBM to provide a patch for the Oracle JDK which
must then be installed to run Liberty. It is also Also not clear how other
provides can support the IBM JDK.
4. Need to understand how the Servlet 4.0 TCK will test secure use of the
push api running on Java8.

We could alleviate 3. by agreeing to a common api which container
providers implement and which is then used by all of the JDK patches
created but that still does not make this a workable solution.

Thank you,
Martin Mulholland.
WebSphere Application Server Web Tier Architect
email: mmulholl_at_us.ibm.com

IBM RTP, PO BOX 12195, 503/C227,
3039 Cornwallis Rd, RTP, NC 27709-2195
 t/l 444-4319, external (919)-254-4319