jsr369-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr369-experts] Re: Working towards Early Draft Review

From: Edward Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 10:50:00 -0700

Hello Experts,

Now is a good time for an update on where we are with respect to the
plan to release an EDR of our specification for in time for JavaOne.

EB> I'd like to take the opportunity presented by this blog post to sketch
EB> out a plan to have an Early Draft Review (EDR) of the specification
EB> available in time for JavaOne 2015. In my opinion, we need to specify
EB> the following features in order to have something worth calling an EDR:

EB> * HTTP/2 Server Push

I'd say the draft proposal in 134-ServerPush is stable enough for an
EDR. There is the open question of what to do about stream priorities
with respect to server push, but we can still address that beyond EDR.

EB> * Inclusion or intentional ignoring of Reactive Streams

SW> The reactive stream class Flow and SubmissionPublisher have been checkin
SW> to JDK 9 workspace.
SW> See https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8132960

This is good news, and it influences how we think about Reactive, so at
this point, I am ready to conclude we need more discussion on the topic
before we can put it in to the spec. Thus, it will certainly not be in
the EDR.

I'm going to suggest Shing-wai and I prepare the EDR draft of the spec
to share with the Servlet EG for the week of October 5th. Let's give
ourselves a week or so to discuss it and hand it to JCP at the end of
that week.

Thanks,

Ed