jsr369-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr369-experts] Re: SERVLET_SPEC-137: Allow context root

From: Mark Thomas <markt_at_apache.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 19:19:45 +0100

On 01/09/2015 01:15, Shing Wai Chan wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 17:54:05 -0700, Shing Wai Chan
> <shing.wai.chan_at_oracle.com> wrote:
>

> MT> I'm pretty sure if this features makes it into Servlet 4.0 (and I am -1
> MT> on that happening) then Tomcat is simply always going to ignore
> whatever
> MT> is set.
>
> If this is a Servlet 4.0 feature, there is most likely a Servlet TCK
> assertion for this.
> Mark, can you help us understand why you are taking such a strong
> position against it
> as a representative for the hugely important Tomcat community?

As I have said previously on this thread, web applications are meant to
be independent of the context path at which they are deployed. Anything
that encourages web application developers to think that they can code
to a specific context path is a bad idea.

> Yes, we should allow the container to override the context root
> configuration.
> We can discuss more on the XML element name once we agree to have this
> feature.

Then as I stated above, Tomcat will *always* override whatever is set
here - effectively ignoring it. I have no wish to deal with the
inevitable conflicts that will result when multiple applications all
want to be deployed with a context path of "".

> Before we move forward, I would like to try to get the Tomcat community
> on board.

I remain firmly against this feature.

Mark