jsr369-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr369-experts] [126-onStartupWebXmlVersionLevel] Discussion

From: Edward Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 16:06:19 -0800

Hello Volunteers,

I'm observing some inconsistent behavior between GlassFish and WLS on
this point and I wonder what you all are doing in your respective
containers. Here's the scoop. Apologies if I'm missing something
fundamental here.

I have a web module with a ServletContainerInitializer impl within it.
I observe that the onStartup() method gets called just fine in GlassFish
4.1 regardless of if the web.xml has 2.5 or 3.0, but on WLS, it has to
be 3.0 for it to be called.

Do we need something in the spec that requires onStartup() to be called
if present regardless of the version level?

Thanks,

Ed