jsr369-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr369-experts] Re: [servlet-spec users] Re: [116-CDIRelatedBeansInServletSpec] PROPOSAL

From: Greg Wilkins <gregw_at_intalio.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 13:30:17 +1100

Arjan,

So if servlet containers provide a portable API for CDI customisation, and
CDI provides a portable API for Servlet container customisation, then we
have a coin toss as to who should take on the responsibility for specifying
and implementing the CDI+Servlets behaviour.

I can see why both groups would rather the other take on that
responsibility/burden.

So perhaps it is an EE architectural decision to determine on whose
shoulders the other should stand. If it turns out that servlets and CDI
are true siblings and that neither is dependent on the other, then perhaps
the EE architects can come up with a convention for how such sibling
interaction can be specified - perhaps as a separate JSR?

Note that there may even be scope for both approaches to be used. When
deploying CDI as part of a webapplication, then it is version independent
from the servlet container and any CDI classes known to the container
should be hidden from the CDI within the web application. In such a
deployment mode, it perhaps should be the CDI impl that makes use of the
portable servlet APIs for discovery of classes and annotations that is must
inject.

When deploying CDI as a container provided service, then perhaps the
container can use portable APIs provided by CDI implementations to
implement the behaviour. In such circumstances, a container may even
choose to only work with one CDI implementation and use none portable
APIs. In this mode, the user loses the ability to pick and choose their
CDI implementation and version (which may not be a bad thing).

Of course we will then have the problem of webapps with their own CDI being
deployed on containers that provide CDI - then boom! game over! It is
almost as if we need a webapp to be able to declare what services it wants
the container to provide - ie every webapp can declare it's own profile....
but are we then re-inventing OSGi? [NB. I blame xerces for this
mess.... it started the trend of webapps depending on implementations
rather than APIs ]

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw_at_intalio.com>  @  Webtide - *an Intalio subsidiary*