jsr340-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr340-experts] Re: [servlet-spec users] Server-Sent Events in Java EE 8

From: Wenbo Zhu <wenbozhu_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 14:16:34 -0700

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 9:44 AM, Shing Wai Chan
<shing.wai.chan_at_oracle.com>wrote:

> We plan to have Server-Sent Events in Java EE 8.
> There are several options discussed in Java EE alias:
> https://java.net/projects/javaee-spec/lists/jsr342-
> experts/archive/2014-05/message/10
>
> The current plan of record is to provide "no" API for SSE in Servlet.

+1

It's not clear that this is a widely adopted API. For serious notification
support, the proposed protocol support is insufficient either.

> I am leaving the door open, however. Some conditions must be met:
> * There is a compelling use case
> * It can be done cleanly
> * It adds value
> * The Servlet EG wants it
> * It is complementary to the corresponding API in JAX-RS 2.0.
> (Note there are other areas of overlap between JAX-RS and Servlet and
> no-one seems to mind:
> Servlet JAX-RS
>
> AsyncContext AsyncResponse
>
> Non-Blocking IO TBD in JAX-RS 2.1
> ReadListener
> WriteListener
> )
>
> The current plan of record does call for standardizing HTTP 2.0 server
> push in Servlet 4.0.

This is fine, but please note that server-push (SPDY or HTTP/2) has little
to do with server-initiated notification support.

- Wenbo