jsr340-experts@servlet-spec.java.net

[jsr340-experts] Server-Sent Events in Java EE 8

From: Shing Wai Chan <shing.wai.chan_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 09:44:39 -0700

We plan to have Server-Sent Events in Java EE 8.
There are several options discussed in Java EE alias:
     https://java.net/projects/javaee-spec/lists/jsr342-experts/archive/2014-05/message/10

The current plan of record is to provide "no" API for SSE in Servlet.
I am leaving the door open, however. Some conditions must be met:
* There is a compelling use case
* It can be done cleanly
* It adds value
* The Servlet EG wants it
* It is complementary to the corresponding API in JAX-RS 2.0.
   (Note there are other areas of overlap between JAX-RS and Servlet and
    no-one seems to mind:
    Servlet JAX-RS

    AsyncContext AsyncResponse

    Non-Blocking IO TBD in JAX-RS 2.1
      ReadListener
      WriteListener
    )

The current plan of record does call for standardizing HTTP 2.0 server
push in Servlet 4.0. That work may reveal more facts to sway the
decision.

We would like to listen to opinions of Servlet EG.

Shing Wai Chan