dev@jsr311.java.net

JSR311: Draft of the JAX-RS 2.0 JSR

From: Guilherme Silveira <guilherme.silveira_at_caelum.com.br>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 21:29:43 -0200

Hi there,

I support it. I've added a few comments/questions here too:

> This JSR will develop the next version of JAX-RS, the API for for
RESTful (Representational State Transfer) Web Services in the Java Platform.
Does the new JSR need to remain compatible with the previous one?
Being completely compatible seems like not a good decision.

On the way between those two extremes is the possibility to keep
compatibility with the previous version of the spec and only support
the new features in the new style of describing your mvc based
resources.
In this situation, the devs have freedom to implement support in any
way and keep compatibility enough so that existing clients can move
their resources in a per class basis to the new spec - whenever they
desire that resource to use any new feature.

> 2.1 Please describe the proposed Specification:

Does it make sense for the API to define filtering apis both for the
request and response (as in the servlet api, but for each one)? This
way any feature written through filters for any JAX-RS implementation
would work in any other implementation.
Common features are async support, 300, 400 and 500 family error code
default handlers and more.

I believe implementation issues (i.e. refactor friendly link builder,
error handling be supported either through throwing exception or
returning the response code) are not to be discussed right now,
correct?

Regards

Guilherme Silveira
Caelum | Ensino e Inovação