dev@jsr311.java.net

TCK Coverage Document <was> Re: JSR311: Preparing for 1.0 FCS

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 23:11:57 +0200

Hi,

Please see below for the current TCK coverage document. RI results
will follow early next week.

Paul.

TCK Coverage Document for JSR-311 JAX-RS: JavaŠ API for RESTful Web
Services

TCK Components:
---------------
- User's Guide
- Compatibility Rules
- Configuration Instructions
- Test Suite
- API Tests
- Signature Tests
- End-to-End Tests
- Framework Code
- JavaTest TM Harness

Terminology of Metrics
----------------------
- Assertion: A specific statement of functionality or behavior
derived from a specification.
   A testable assertion is one that can be validated in an
implementation by testing.
- Test: A binary application (or script) comprised of one or more
Test Cases.
- Test Case: A single set of test inputs, execution conditions, and
expected results
   developed to verify an implementation's conformance with a
specific assertion.
- Specification Assertion Coverage: Ratio of all assertions tested by
at least one test
   case to the total number of testable assertions defined by the
specification.
- API Coverage: Ratio of methods directly exercised by test cases to
the total number
   of methods defined by the specification.

Coverage
--------
- Total testable assertions derived from JAX-RS Specification and
Javadoc:

         96 specification assertions
      + 296 API assertions
      -------------------------------
        392 testable assertions

- Total testable assertions tested

         29 specification assertions tested
      + 154 API assertions tested
      --------------------------------------
        183 testable assertions tested

   - 30% of testable specification assertions tested
   - 52% of testable API assertions tested
   - 47% of all (specification and API) assertions tested

- Assertions were identified through the use of CTS Tools and hand
markup

- Number of tests in JAX-RS TCK: 200 This total may change slightly
before the TCK ships.

- API Signature Coverage: 100% for all defined public and protected
members and validated
   by the signature tests included with the JAX-RS TCK.

Quality Assurance
-----------------
- JAX-RS TCK was run using representative configurations of the
Reference Implementation on
   the following platforms, either Java 2 SE 5.0 or Java 2 SE 6.0 used:
    * Solaris 10 sparc
    * Red Hat (RHEL) 4.0
    * Windows XP Professional
    * Mac OS 10.5
- Code quality was demonstrated through the use of code reviews and
inspections
- User's Guide was constructed from the standard TCK User's Guide
template
- Documentation instructions were verified and tested

Justification of Adequacy
-------------------------
The JAX-RS TCK version 1 provides a comprehensive set of tests to ensure
all implementations of the JAX-RS specifications are compatible. As
with all
TCKs it is impossible to provide tests for 100% assertion coverage.
Note, while
the TCK may not have tests for all assertions in the JAX-RS
specification, all
implementations must be compatible with the specification.

Untested assertions are due to the effects of late specification
changes, and the
availability and cost of test development resources.