dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: JSR311: Issue 18: XML Descriptor

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 12:00:13 +0200

Stefan Tilkov wrote:
> On Jul 1, 2008, at 9:51 AM, Paul Sandoz wrote:
>
>> On Jul 1, 2008, at 9:36 AM, Stefan Tilkov wrote:
>>>
>>> True, but I'm not really convinced relying on tools is a good answer.
>>> Besides, I'm not only interested in viewing, but also in being able
>>> to change the mapping centrally.
>>
>> Is that because you want to customize the URLs of a developed
>> application?
>>

> Not necessarily, I'm more concerned with ease of development. Usually, a
> RESTful application consists of a set of resources (or resource "types"
> for want of a better word) – being able to view and change the whole
> outside view in one place is what I'm after.

Like Stephan i don't see the editing of a XML document as being an ease
of development feature, i perceive it to be a step backwards in terms of
ease of development (and deployment) over using annotations.

I guess you are suspicious of tools :-) but this is something a tool
could easily do, present a whole outside view and one could potentially
modify the annotations of the code using that view. That IMHO is much
more preferable in terms of ease of development than editing a XML
document directly, or indirectly via a tool [*].

Paul.

[*] I hate editing web.xml, i can never remember some of the element
     names and connections of different elements via text content, when i
     do i invariably make spelling mistakes, so i use a tool to edit it.
     I have an extreme loathing when to comes to editing maven pom files!

--
| ? + ? = To question
    Paul Sandoz
         x38109