dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: JSR311: Limit extensions pre-processing

From: Stephan Koops <Stephan.Koops_at_web.de>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 17:48:34 +0200

Hi,

Marc Hadley schrieb:
> On Jul 9, 2008, at 8:30 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> [...]
> Given the above I think the only reasonable thing to do right now is
> to remove the automatic URI-based conneg feature. Even limiting it to
> safe operation would violate the mapping of specific resources to
> generic resource classes. If we had a longer than the two weeks
> remaining before proposed final draft we could perhaps investigate
> other approaches but that's not an option for this rev of the
> specification.
If a browser access a resource, some browsers (e.g. IE 7, FF 2) will
request XML with a higher priority than HTML. Not fine, but it's the
reality. So I think for GET (inclusive HEAD), OPTIONS and other safe
methods it is good.

So my opinion:

    * First preference: define it only for safe methods, remove for
      unsafe methods (safe methods could be defined to be safe by an
      additional attribute to @HttpMethod).
    * Otherwise throw it fully away. It's not a big problem for me;
      Restlet has a solution for it ...

best regards
   Stephan