dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: JSR311: Exception Handling

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 13:52:25 +0200

Stephan Koops wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>>> I do not see any advantage of the ContainerException. The runtime
>>> environment could also handle exceptions directly. Let me know, what
>>> I am missing.
>> It is a standard way to wrap a checked exception and for it to be
>> passed to the container, for example, consider this hypothetical example:
> Yes, I know. For methods that are called directly (without the
> reflection API, e.g. in Servlets), this is useful.
> The reflection API will throw an InvocationalTargetException.

Not sure i understand you. I was referring to propagating the targeted
(checked or otherwise) exception (thrown from a constructor, resource
method or sub-resource locator directly or indirectly) in a *standard
specified* way to the container.

> We could
> allow all exceptions thrown by the methods (as your example above
> shows), which is not useful in APIs like the Servlet API. So we don't
> need a special exception class IMO. If someone don't want this throws
> clause, he could throw a WebApplicationException.
>> @GET
>> public byte[] get(@Param("charset") String charset)
>> throws java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException {
>> return "CONTENT".getBytes(charset);
>> }
>>
>> how would the checked exception UnsupportedEncodingException be
>> propagated and caught by the runtime and rethrown by the runtime to
>> pass it to the container (if no exception provider is found for
>> UnsupportedEncodingException) ?
> IMO status 500. But every runtime environment could handle this as
> internal "problem". Did I miss something?

Some people use the error page functionality in the web.xml with runtime
exceptions. To support this it is necessary that runtime exceptions be
propagated in a standard way to the web container rather than being
caught by the JAX-RS runtime.

In Jersey we originally trapped all exceptions and converted then to 500
requested that exceptions be propagated to the web container so they
could configure error pages.

Paul.