dev@jsr311.java.net

Re: JSR311: Response isn't adequate

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 10:12:17 -0500

On Mar 7, 2008, at 6:53 AM, Jerome Louvel wrote:

>> Beyond the BLOB case I talked about before, if you look at servlet
>> development, people use the raw output stream or print
>> writers to stream
>> dynamic content. Developers will *still* want to use a raw output
>> stream especially if they are migrating an existing Servlet-based
>> restful service to the JAX-RS model.
>
> Replacement of Servlet API by JAX-RS has never been a goal (implicit
> or
> explicit) of this specification. Maybe we need a clarification from
> the spec
> leaders?

I can confirm that replacement of the Servlet API was never a goal.
That said I expect JSR 311 to be useful to folks who would otherwise
have undertaken Servlet development and one of the drivers for me was
seeing how involved/time-consuming/fiddly/pick-your-adjective
development of RESTful services was with Servlet.

Marc.

---
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>
CTO Office, Sun Microsystems.